Bunch of Errors related to "_" in names

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Looks like the functionality of the application is exactly wht I need, it is a great idea.

I downloaded the source code and tried to use the frmASFlattener form.

I tried to naturalize an Account Dimension in my database.

First the application throws an error because it was looking for dbo_Account table (instead of dbo.Account) I changed the code a little bit to replace "_" with "." in the table name.

Now it throws an exception because it is looking for Account_Code_Name in the table, but Account_Code_Name  is the field name in the DSV (not a table).

When I tried frmSQLFlattener , the application updated the table or view list after I updated the database name but it doesn't want to update the ID column and Parent ID after I changed the Table.

Plese let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks,

Vlad

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I fixed the source code, so the form populates the drop-downs (see my previous post).

Finally I was able to run frmSQLFlatter and generate the flat dimension (with levels hierarchy) from parent-child hierarchy.

But here is a huge problem, looks like the application doesn't take into account that the parent-child hierarchy can have different number of levels for each member. I generated the view for my Accounts dimension. Some of the accounts (only 3 of them) have 10 levels, so the view shows only these  3 accounts. It doesn’t show other accounts which have less than 10 levels.

I guess it is still helpful, at least it gives me some starting point if I decide to create the view which will work, but if the above correct there is no way I can use it for a real project as-is.

Am I correct and the application generates the view only for the members which have the max number of levels?

Thanks,

Vlad 

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Thanks Vlad.  I am going to take a look at this over the weekend hopefully.  I have had an extremely busy week and was slow to look into it.  I know there is a messy problem at this point in the code, and need to look into it carefully.  A previous change to address a related problem caused this to break, so I need to understand them both better and can make a fix that will make it work right in every case at this location.

Sorry for my delayed response.  I appreciate your taking time to try it out, and hope to make it work well for you.

Jon

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks, for coming back to me.
Actualy I was able to make frmSQLFlattener work fixing the .Net code and it generated the view.

The problem is that the view has only few records in, and looks like the reason is that the Naturalizer can't handle the ragged hierarchies.
In my dimension I have members with differen number of levels in the hierarchy (max is 8), the view shows only members which have 8 levels and doesn't show members which have 7, 6,5 levels.

In geneal parent-child hierarchy always have differnt number of levels for each member.

I put my comment on the site about it.

Thanks,

Vlad

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM, jburchel <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks Vlad.  I am going to take a look at this over the weekend hopefully.  I have had an extremely busy week and was slow to look into it.  I know there is a messy problem at this point in the code, and need to look into it carefully.  A previous change to address a related problem caused this to break, so I need to understand them both better and can make a fix that will make it work right in every case at this location.

Sorry for my delayed response.  I appreciate your taking time to try it out, and hope to make it work well for you.

Jon

Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 9:06 AM
To: Jon Burchel
Subject: Bunch of Errors related to "_" in names [PCDimNaturalize:58768]

Looks like the functionality of the application is exactly wht I need, it is a great idea.

I tried to naturalize an Account Dimension in my database.

First the application throws an error because it was looking for dbo_Account table (instead of dbo.Account) I changed the code a little bit to replace "_" with "." in the table name.

Now it throws an exception because it is looking for Account_Code_Name in the table, but Account_Code_Name is the field name in the DSV (not a table).

When I tried frmSQLFlattener , the application updated the table or view list after I updated the database name but it doesn't want to update the ID column and Parent ID after I changed the Table.

Thanks,

Vlad

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (PCDimNaturalize@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email PCDimNaturalize@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (PCDimNaturalize@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email PCDimNaturalize@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2009 at 3:37 AM
Edited Jun 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Hi Vlad,

Can you provide me the data (or a sample of it) for your database so I can reproduce this problem?  I know this code is problematic at this point, but I was not able to reproduce it directly with any of the dimensions in Adventure Works.  Even if you can provide me with your AS database’s XMLA create script and just the table schema for the SQL table underlying the one dimension, I can probably use that to reproduce the issue without having your data directly.

You can contact me directly via CodePlex.

Thank you!

Jon

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for troubleshooting this issue.
I attach the file with accounts which you can use to create a simple dimension with Parent-Child hierarchy.
The members have different levels, so it is ragged hierarchy.
When I tried to naturalise this dimension using your SQLflattener, the result showed me only members with 8 levels.

Thanks,

Vlad

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM, jburchel <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Vlad,

Can you provide me the data (or a sample of it) for your database so I can reproduce this problem?  I know this code is problematic at this point, but I was not able to reproduce it directly with any of the dimensions in Adventure Works.  Even if you can provide me with your AS database’s XMLA create script and just the table schema for the SQL table underlying the one dimension, I can probably use that to reproduce the issue without having your data directly.

You can contact me directly via CodePlex.

Thank you!

Jon

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Bunch of Errors related to "_" in names [PCDimNaturalize:58768]

Hi Jon,

Thanks, for coming back to me.

Actualy I was able to make frmSQLFlattener work fixing the .Net code and it generated the view.

The problem is that the view has only few records in, and looks like the reason is that the Naturalizer can't handle the ragged hierarchies.

In my dimension I have members with differen number of levels in the hierarchy (max is 8), the view shows only members which have 8 levels and doesn't show members which have 7, 6,5 levels.

In geneal parent-child hierarchy always have differnt number of levels for each member.

I put my comment on the site about it.

Thanks,

Vlad

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM, jburchel <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks Vlad. I am going to take a look at this over the weekend hopefully. I have had an extremely busy week and was slow to look into it. I know there is a messy problem at this point in the code, and need to look into it carefully. A previous change to address a related problem caused this to break, so I need to understand them both better and can make a fix that will make it work right in every case at this location.

Sorry for my delayed response. I appreciate your taking time to try it out, and hope to make it work well for you.

Jon

Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 9:06 AM
Subject: Bunch of Errors related to "_" in names [PCDimNaturalize:58768]

I tried to naturalize an Account Dimension in my database.

Now it throws an exception because it is looking for Account_Code_Name in the table, but Account_Code_Name is the field name in the DSV (not a table).

When I tried frmSQLFlattener , the application updated the table or view list after I updated the database name but it doesn't want to update the ID column and Parent ID after I changed the Table.

Thanks,

Vlad

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.